URBAN FOX STUDIO was recently contracted by a specialized manufacturing firm to apply a high-temperature resistant silicone rubber coating onto the surface of a refractory concrete floor. The objective of the application is to increase wear protection of the floor and prevent small-particle contamination of the material being refined inside the furnace at the center of the floor structure.
The floor surface area measures 20 ft x 20 ft (6.09m x 6.09m).
After a period of testing, EZ-Spray™ Silicone 20 packaged in 1500 ml cartridges was chosen as the coating material due to its high tolerance for continuous elevated service temperature (500°F), abrasion resistance, and ease of application using an EZ-Spray™ Jr. Spray Dispensing Gun.
EZ-Spray™ Silicone 20 adhered to the concrete floor, increasing the durability and erosion resistance of the underlying surface. High dry film thickness from 5 – 50 mils can be easily achieved with EZ-Spray™ Silicone 20.
- Refractory concrete floor ready to be coated with EZ-Spray® SIlicone 20.
- The surface area of the floor measures approximately 400 sq. foot (37.08 sq. meters).
- EZ-Spray® Silicone 20 1500 ml cartridge is loaded into EZ-Spray® Jr. Spray Dispensing Gun.
- An air compressor capable of delivering 5 C.F.M. at 90 P.S.I. is attached to the EZ-Spray® Jr. Gun enabling the silicone rubber to be sprayed onto the concrete surface.
- The silicone rubber is thoroughly mixed as it passes through the static mixer attached to the cartridge then gets atomized.
- Silicone rubber is methodically applied to one section of the floor at a time.
- The workman monitors the color which helps to indicate thickness build-up on the concrete surface.
- EZ-Spray® Silicone 20 has a 3 minute Pot Life and a 20 minute Cure Time at 73°F / 23°C.
- EZ-Spray® Silicone 20 contains no Volatile Organic Compounds (V.O.C.s).
- One 1500 ml cartridge of EZ-Spray® Silicone 20 contains 3.75 lbs (1.70 kgs) of silicone rubber.
- A bungee strap is used to suspend EZ-Spray® Jr. gun from above to minimize weight.
- A variety of spray patterns can be achieved by varying the amount of air atomization with EZ-Spray® Jr.
- The refractory concrete floor is completely coated with EZ-Spray® Silicone 20.
- Furnace is ready to be put back into service.