Sandy Hauptston lost her job after 17 years with a Pennsylvania manufacturer. After the initial shock of losing her job wore off, she considered what to do next with her life and considered her options. Sandy had always been a craftswoman and enjoyed working with her hands. Rather than look for another job, she decided to give in to her entrepreneurial spirit by building a business selling her hand-made clear craft creations. Sandy recently wrote to Smooth-On to tell us of her success and even created a gallery demonstrating how she makes one of her creations.
''I’ve always been crafty. I learned to knit when I was a teenager. In college I took up quilting and more recently I even tried my hand at candle making. Last year I saw Smooth-On’s Encapso® K on an episode of the Martha Stewart show. It looked like a lot of fun so I decided to try it out for myself. Soon I was hooked! It was so easy - I couldn’t stop making stuff!''
Sandy’s creations range from interesting encapsulations, to gorgeous floral displays, to decorative candle holders. She was so pleased with the results that pretty soon she was giving away her pieces to friends and family as gifts. They encouraged Sandy to start selling her work at local craft shows, and so “Sandy’s Clear Creations” was born. She has already exhibited at several shows over the past two months with great success, and is planning to sell at more than two dozen events in the northeast just this year.
''I’ve always done this kinda thing for fun - I never thought I could turn it into a successful side business. Thanks Smooth-On!''
- 1 - Sandy holds one of her floral arrangements created with the help of Smooth-On's Encapso® K.
- 2 - Encapso® K is a two-component water clear encapsulation silicone that looks just like water. It is mixed in an equal ratio of 1 Part A to 1 Part B by volume.
- 3 - First, Part A is dispensed into a cup.
- 4 - An equal amount of Part B is then dispensed into a separate cup.
- 5 - Equal amounts of Parts A and B are ready to be mixed.
- 6 - The two components are then combined in a larger mixing container.
- 7 - The material is mixed thoroughly for several minutes. The sides and bottom of the container are scraped to ensure a thorough mix.
- 8 - Encapso® K has a 60 minute working time. Sandy typically pours several pieces from one batch of rubber. Here, she pours one of her most popular pieces - a decorative candle holder.
- 9 - A few examples of Sandy's candle holders. ''Candle holders have become my bestsellers'' Sandy says. ''I think people like to add some personal flair to their dining room tables.''
- 10 - With Encapso® K, Sandy can let her imagination run wild. ''My customers love that every piece I make is unique, and I always have new ideas bouncing around my head.''