Bill Klopping (Beyond Design, Walton, NY) was challenged to create a world class display that would be viewed by millions of visitors at New York City’s Christmas Wonderland.
Fabricating the finished elements for a complex project like this would call for employing ingenious mold making and casting techniques. Bill’s choice of materials: Mold Max® 20 silicone rubber for making the molds and Crystal Clear® plastic to make the castings.
- Under a blanket of newly fallen snow, a super-sized Christmas lights display is enjoyed by New Yorkers celebrating the holiday season as they pass the world famous Radio City Music Hall.
- A rigid core of PVC piping with a cast cone top will support two separate silicone rubber molds during the casting process.
- Mold Max® 20 rubber inner and outer molds were made of a sculpted original to perfectly capture the shape, dimension and waffle pattern of the individual light bulbs.
- The outer rubber mold is pulled over the inner rubber mold.
- This will create a ''gap'' or cavity that will be filled with Crystal Clear® resin.
- The rigid support shell or mother mold is fitted and secured over the outer rubber mold.
- Crystal Clear® resin is measured, color pigmented and mixed thoroughly.
- The mixed resin is then de-aired in a vacuum chamber.
- The color pigmented Crystal Clear® resin is pressure dispensed into the bottom of the mold structure using a pressure pot. The resin is allowed to rise slowly to fill the gap between the rubber mold and the support shell.
- Once filled, the mold structure is placed in a hot box and heat cured.
- Following the full cure cycle, the resin casting is ready to be demolded.
- A special hoist was constructed to remove the outer rubber mold from the cured Crystal Clear® plastic.
- Bill Klopping standing next to one of his Christmas Light creations while artisans assemble the structure in the background.
- test assembled
- Another view of the project as it is staged prior to being shipped to New York City
- At night the brilliantly colored lights ignite the entire block.
- Passersby marvel at the Crystal Clear® resin display, enjoying all that New York City has to offer at Christmas Time.