Treasure Island Hotel, Resort and Casino located in Las Vegas, Nevada, opened its doors in the early 90's. The addition of an exciting marquee to the Vegas Strip was needed to draw interest to this new establishment, and enable it to stand out among the multitude of other signs and bright lights. MJM Studios (South Kerney, NJ) was contracted to design and create the oversized marquee with a pirates skull as its center piece. MJM contacted Smooth-On, Inc. to discuss material options for this large project.
- This original model was sculpted from 9 tons of plaster by MJM Artisans. Smooth-On mold rubber was used to make the molds from the model.
- The molds were sent to Las Vegas where MJM Artisans cast fiberglass and resin to create the skull reproductions.
- Smooth-On rubber and plastics were used to create surrounding scroll work, swords, and other elements that adorn The Treasure Island Marquee.
- Side view of the double sided marquee
- Night view of the lit sign.
- 'View from the Vegas strip'