People often underestimate the importance of proper storage of their molds. Improperly storing a mold can damage it and possibly render it unusable.
Proper Mold Storage
- Clean the mold cavity with a sponge and soapy water and let dry.
- Cast plaster into the mold and let dry. Do not demold. You will be storing the mold with the plaster casting in it to help maintain dimensional stability. Important: Do not use a urethane resin or epoxy for this step.
- If possible, place the mold with the casting in it in a black plastic garbage bag and seal tightly.
- Place on a flat level surface. Note: We have heard from customers who have inadvertently stored their molds with objects under them, causing the mold to permanently distort.
- Store in a cool, dry environment out of ultraviolet light.
Related FAQ: How long can I store my rubber mold in a "mold library"?