At the 2011 IMATS L.A. Makeup Tradeshow, Frank Ippolito created his own vision of The Joker by creating a multi-piece silicone appliance makeup. Frank used Body Double skin safe silicone to create the lifecast of his model. One full head casting was poured. Small molds of different parts of the lifecast were made using Mold Max 30, and resin was poured into the molds. A clay sculpture was then created on the full head lifecast.
The clay sculpture was cut into sections and removed from the lifecast. The cut up clay sculpture pieces were replaced on the appropriate resin casts and more resin was poured on top to make a 2-piece mold of each section of the makeup.
Special bald-cap plastic was airbrushed into the resin molds. Dragon Skin FX PRO was then combined with SLACKER to create a silicone gel, which was poured into the resin molds. Dragon Skin FX PRO was specifically formulated for use as a silicone makeup appliance material.
The completed pieces were adhered using prosthetic adhesive. The super-soft Dragon Skin FX PRO gel moves with every emotion and expression of the actor, creating a super-realistic version of this popular arch-villain. Response to the makeup was phenomenal, with many attendees commenting on the realism of motion created by using a multi-piece silicone appliance.
- The original lifecast, cast from a Body Double mold and marked for wig placement.
- The sculpted makeup is created using non-sulfur oil clay.
- Mold Max 30 molds are made of separate areas of the lifecast. Resin is cast into the molds.
- The sculpture is cut into several pieces and re-sculpted on separate resin face pieces. Resin is poured on this to make the second half of the mold.
- The forehead was re-sculpted on an EpoxAcoat / EpoxAmite laminated forehead casting.
- The cast Dragon Skin FX Pro pieces. Appliances are gel filled, using SLACKER as the softener. They are encapsulated in a special plastic encapsulator.
- The pieces are applied using an acrylic based professional adhesive.
- As more pieces are applied, the face takes shape.
- Body Double castings of the makeup pieces are used as templates to apply adhesive.
- Using these templates assures proper placement of the appliances.
- The extreme flexibility of the FX Pro gel-filled pieces allow for maximum movement.
- The finished makeup is painted using alcohol activated makeup.
- A specially made wig is fitted to the actor.
- The artist - Frank Ippolito - and his creation.
- The finished makeup moves along with every expression of the actor.